American Studies Major
The 36-unit undergraduate major requires 12 units of American Studies core courses and 24 elective units in American Studies and related fields.
Required Core Courses (12 units):
· AMST 201 - Introduction to American Studies
· AMST 301 - The American Character
· AMST 350 - Theory & Method of American Studies
· AMST 401T - Proseminar in American Studies
Electives (24 units) must be chosen in consultation with a faculty advisor. They are subject to the following requirements:
- Students may take all eight elective courses (24 units) in American Studies courses or they may include up to four courses (12 units) from other departments upon approval of a faculty adviser.
- All courses taken outside American Studies must be upper-division. Whichever plan is followed, all non- American Studies coursework must be substantive rather than skill or how-to courses and must have an American focus or a cross-cultural focus involving America.
Once students have earned 85 units, they should apply for graduation. To complete a grad check in American Studies, students should email an American Studies faculty advisor with their CWID or visit faculty office hours.